Wednesday 21 October 2009

Marenile or Juvture?

Hasn’t been a post in awhile aye chaps? Mostly because I’m a bit busy and my routines a bit messed up at the moment, but hopefully I can carry on my regular posting.

Oh and Guin saga? I just watched the 25th episode, the one before the last, and man... Yeah it’s funny, just you wait, hehe.

Anyway, while we wait for all that lets have another discussion. Yet again I’ve created a sort of oxymoronic paradox for myself, expect this time it’s do with my taste for things. Let’s go with games as an example for now. Say you throw something like Bayonetta at me, it could be good fun but I doubt I’d be able to get over the silliness and immaturity of it, while at the same time I see something like Dragon age with blood and guts everywhere and I’m like “WOOT”. I find myself on the fence with exactly where my tastes are and how their developing.

You probably couldn’t tell from my blog posts but not so long ago I was that guy that watched every anime and loved it all. Oh sure there were things I wouldn’t watch still, but there was rather alot I would watch. But overtime my once open heart started to shrivel and decay into a small black stone that now fuels my ps3 (I call it the dark sun) and I found myself starting to get really annoyed with it all. So I went on a quest for more mature things, which turned out to be finding story’s about miscarriages and generally “adult” things (There’s some dark stuff out their yo), yet amongst these things I’ll watch something like the fairy odd parents. I can’t stand some juvenile things yet at the same time I just can’t labour through all the mature settings.

I blame my radical mood swings and my borderland split personality disorder (I still say we instead of I sometimes....) but I guess this is just another room in the boat of life.

Oh I know! Let’s talk about ridiculous plot elements. You know those times your reading something or watching something and you’re like “What? No way” I had one of those recently... Ok it’s in this manga right there are six of these bad guys with a fortress of doom, the fort walks and is gonna pretty much crush everything. Now the fights are actually pretty short, and while that’s normally good its just.... these bad guys were set up to be like the baddest motherf***ers ever and than lose kinda easily? Whatever happened to our hero’s being the underdogs? I know we all get angry when some hero’s are really weak and can’t just smackdown the villain right away, but that doesn’t happen because it would be boring. So then one of these guys (Not the leader) is hyped up as strongest, like he’s gonna ruin everyone’s shit... then he loses like almost instantly... and it’s like “huh that was a short plotline” BUT then this thing tells our hero’s “OH NOES! Without the 6 bad guys the leaders super mega evil spilt personality will awaken!” and it’s like... What? That’s silly! It’s like the writer has literally ran out of ideas at this point, saving himself up for the bigger plot hinted at all this time, but this just smacks of laziness...

You know you’re in trouble when you’re using plotlines from Yu-gi-oh.



Let’s see what else.... Oh yeah, since it’s all the rage these days and I’ve only made some passing remarks about it... Let’s talk about Vampires.

I suppose I fit into the group that says these days Vampires are shit, and blame everything on fan girls, but at the same time... Guys, you have to sort of admit... Vampires have been kinda lame for a long time now. Their just more lame now.

For the most part vampires in media today are for girls who yearn for an immortal love interest, but back in my day they were owned by the Emo’s and the Goths. Vampires were adored because they shared many traits and ideals with Emo’s and Goths, wither it be the dress sense, being an ‘outcast’, self loathing , and their general hang out spots... But also they all yearned for the power to kill off people, because everyone has that trip. You need to look no further then games like Vampire the Masquerade, a game built around acting like one these creatures of the night and it actully does a good job of tapping into the dark parts of mythology all the kids were crazy about.

Now it might be a bit of a stereotype but you’d usually expect the people playing this to be very serious about it, going on long midnight walks muttering about their pain and detachment from the world. Me and my friends played this game.... and it didn’t quite come out like that...

Suffice it to say my character was a vampire doctor that would pull out his guns and crazy vampire powers for no reason at all, could see fairies, generally did horrible things to people already injured and would shout “The doctor is in!” before killing everyone. I lost alot of humanity points, and it was awesome.

Anyway back on topic. I actually read an article about someone that studies vampires in media and it was fascinating, it explained fundamentally why people liked them and why they’re a good story tool. It even explained to me what the actual purpose of a show like True Blood was... and I was like “Wow, if the show was presented in an actual intelligent way I’d probably really like it”.

I don’t think I’ll ever watch Twilight and I’d say it’s not because it’s just bad but rather because I don’t agree with its messages at all... and when I see people flock to an idea I find revolting I suddenly realise what it’s like to be one of those crazy mums.

Because nothing says sexy like a 100 year old guy that never matured past puberty, stalks you every hour of the day and beats you only sometimes. Also undertones of necrophilia, ew?

The sooner people come to the completely correct and logical conclusion that vampires are not people the better. Or would you really like an appointment with the doctor?

No comments:

Post a Comment